OWWA Scholarship Programs You Should Know About

WMSI Updates

Did you know that there are scholarship programs that come with your membership? 

The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) provides various programs to OFWs, including seafarers. We previously highlighted their PDOS DOs and DON’Ts, but aside from these precautionary tips and information, they also offer scholarship, training, and incentive programs for OFWs and their dependents. These programs are being offered not only as a benefit of active membership but more in preparation for the Re-Entry Phase, when the worker must come back to the country and retire from an overseas career.

Below is a brief description of these scholarship, training, and incentive programs. Click on the OWWA website link at the bottom to download the forms needed and learn more about these benefits. 

  1. Seafarer’s Upgrading Program (SUP) – Scholarships for attendance to short-term upgrading courses for seafarers.  First availment consists of Php 7,500.00 training assistance.  Availment in another training course every after 3 recorded membership.
  2. Mariner’s Dugtong-Aral (MDA) – Scholarships for qualified graduates of BS Mechanical Engineering and BS Electrical Engineering, consisting of a maximum of Php 38,120.00 plus Php 15,000.00 for 3-month stipend, leading to a BS Marine Engineering degree.  These are for those who wish to board an ocean vessel as qualified Marine Officers.
  3. Incentive Program for Top 200 Maritime Cadets (Cadetship Program) – A financial incentive to top 100 students of BS Marine Transportation and top 100 students of BS Marine Engineering who passed the Maritime School Assessment Program, consisting of a maximum of Php 30,000.00 per cadet to be used in processing documentary requirements needed in boarding an international vessel.
  4. Marine Educational Development Loan Program (MEDLOP) – A “Study Now, Pay Later” program.  MEDLOP is an interest-free financial assistance to defray the cost of tertiary education of prospective Marine Officers and Engineers with guaranteed International Onboard Employment.
  5. Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) – Scholarships for qualified dependents of OFWs consisting of a maximum of Php 60,000.00 per school year, leading to a four-to-five year baccalaureate course in any college or university.
  6. OFW Dependents Scholarship Program (OFWDSP) – Scholarships consisting of a maximum of Php 20,000.00 assistance per school year leading to a baccalaureate or associate degree in a state college or university.  OFW parents must have a monthly salary of not more than US$400.00.
  7. Education and Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP) – Scholarships for survivors of deceased OFWs consisting of Php 5,000.00 for elementary, Php 8,000.00 for high school, Php 10,000.00 for college (per school year) and livelihood assistance of Php 15,000.00 for the surviving spouse.

How to qualify for scholarship
  1. Must be a child of a married OWWA member or brother/sister of an unmarried OWWA member
  2. Must be 21 years old or below
  3. Must be a Filipino citizen
  4. Be in good health and with good moral character
  5. Must have an average grade of at least 80% and belong to the upper 20% of the graduating class

  1. Two (2) sets of Accomplished Form
  2. Two (2) copies of 2×2 ID pictures
  3. Proof of relationship to OWWA member (Birth Certificate or Application of Birth Certificate of both the single OFW and the applicant-dependent duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar or NSO)
  4. Proof of OWWA Membership (i.e, Official Receipt of OWWA Contribution/Certification from OWWA Membership Registry Division)
  5. Form 137/High School Report Card
  6. Health certificate attesting to physical fitness of applicant (Form B)
  7. Certificate of Good Moral Character issued by the School Principal/Guidance Counselor (Form C)
  8. Certificate that the applicant belongs to the upper 20% of the total graduating students issued by the School Principal (Form D)
  9. Statement of applicant that he/she has not earned units in any post-secondary/undergraduate course (Form E)
  10. Sworn Statement that he/she has no pending application for resident immigrant status from any country and does not have dual citizenship signed by parents or legal guardians (Form F)
  11. For unmarried OFW, Certificate of NO Marriage from NSO (CENOMAR)

via Overseas Workers Welfare Administration – Programs & Services.